Sunday 2 January 2022

Fake Smile

 Although I love taking photos, I don't feel comfortable in front of a camera and will avoid having my photo taken unless I really have to. However, when a photography site called DPChallenge (of which I'm a long time member) held a challenge titled "Goofy Face" in December 2020, I decided to shoot a few self-portraits wearing my favourite mask and a hat. My chosen photo for that challenge is now my profile photo on Facebook and WhatsApp.

When I first made it my profile photo on WhatsApp, a horrified friend phoned to ask if I'd seen it. For some reason it didn't dawn on him that I actually liked that photo and wanted other people to see it. But as long I like it, it doesn't really matter what he thinks.

In August 2021 DPChallenge had a challenge called "The Smile". Most challenges require photos taken during the two week period that the challenge runs, but since the pandemic started they run one challenge per week for any photo one has ever taken on a digital camera, so I decided to use one of the outtakes from the "Goofy Face" challenge.

I didn't want to enter something too similar to the one from the earlier challenge, so I made myself a lot more anonymous in this one. I like the fact that it's not about me, only the mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment