Wednesday 20 July 2016

Birds on a Street Light

One of the birds commonly seen in my city is the Hadeda, a member of the Ibis family. He's a large bird, and rather noisy, but I've learned to appreciate his presence because his diet includes a nasty creature commonly referred to as a Parktown Prawn - one of the few bugs that really frightens me.

In the past I've taken a few photos of these birds walking around on the ground, but recently I've become aware of their liking for perching on street lights, and I've been longing to get a photo of them up there.

Today the opportunity finally presented itself to me.

Once again, I've opted for a dark black and white edit.



Linking up with Wordless Wednesdays and Wild Bird Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. I had to look up Parktown Prawns. You got me curious. Do they bite or sting? They remind me of crickets a bit.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-war-ii-memorial-washington-dc.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a type of cricket, but they're quite large. I don't think they bit or sting, but they jump around like crazy, and once they get into the house it's really difficult to chase them away. They can also make a huge mess if you frighten them.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of this bird or bug---research time. The negative space in your photo does its job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the bird and the bug names provide links to Wikipedia. I guess they're not visible enough :(

      Delete
  3. Nice to see something a little different.

    ReplyDelete