Monday 4 July 2016

What the Camera Saw

As my focus at the moment is on shooting photos for the theme "Noir" (black) with the aim of using one specific editing process to keep the style constant, I've decided there isn't much point in setting my camera to shoot in black and white right now.

Instead I've been using the "Dramatic Tone" setting I mentioned previously. In the right conditions it really can produce magical results, as was the case with this photo - a fair reflection of the scene I saw yesterday.

"Dramatic Tone" version straight out of camera

Cameras don't usually cope too well with contrasty light though, and without that setting I'd have been left with this image, which is what the camera actually saw:

Unedited RAW photos - what the camera saw

Starting with that version it would have taken a lot of editing to get anything close to what I was after.

Of course neither of those was the look I wanted for my final image. Taking both into Photoshop and applying the same editing methods produced two dramatically different images.

The version created from the RAW original ended up really dark with far too much detail lost in the shadows.


The "Dramatic Tone" version, on the other hand, produced just the look I was after with only minimal editing.



Linking up to Through My Lens and Black and White View.

2 comments: