Saturday 28 May 2016

The Big Brown Moth

I'm not often lucky enough to find moths or butterflies that are prepared to keep still for long enough for me to get decent photos, and it seemed that things would be no different when I first came across this moth, perched high up on a wall of my greenhouse. There was just no way that I could get close enough to get the shot I wanted and reluctantly I was forced to give up on what I was sure would be a one-off opportunity.

Second chances rarely happen, but this time I was lucky. Two days later I found him on the garage wall at just the right height for me to get the shot I wanted without having to do any uncomfortable contortions.

It was only later, when looking at the photo, that I noticed how much his wings resemble a curled-up leaf.


It's nearly two years since I took this photo and I've never seen another moth quite like him. Perhaps I never will.



Linking up to Saturday's Critters.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, it is a pretty moth. Great photo! I usually have trouble taking photos of butterflies and moths, they do not stay still long enough. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I usually have trouble with moths and butterflies too, but this one wasn't very active at the time. I wish that would happen more often.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It certainly would be when it's out in nature. Not so helpful when it stops on a painted wall though!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful moth! What incredible patterning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pattern is most unusual. At least in my experience.

      Delete